Number of levels and level selection

Discussion regarding the competition rules

Number of levels and level selection

Postby brandon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 am

Hi Jochen,
I have a few queries relating to the numbers of levels.
I couldn't see anything relating to these details in the rules. Apologies if I've missed
something about this in the rules.

When and how do we find out how many levels are in play in a given round?
Is it the same number of levels in each round? I guess not?
Does the level selection screen have the same layout as in Poached Eggs?
I assume it probably does. I guess it will be a maximum of 21 levels per round?
Do the levels change between rounds?

Cheers
Brandon
brandon
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 am

Re: Number of levels and level selection

Postby Jochen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Brandon,

the number of levels can be different for every round and will depend on how many agents participate. We will only find out by July 30 once we close registration.

It will be at most ten per round and at least five. Every round will have new levels exept for qualification 1 and 2 which will be the same. The server will tell the agent how many levels there will be at initialisation.

The level selection screen will be the same as for poached eggs, but you don't have to worry about that, you just tell the server which level you want next and we will select it for you.

Cheers,
Jochen
User avatar
Jochen
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Number of levels and level selection

Postby kaliaragorn » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:12 am

does this mean that one cannot expect how many levels will be required to play for?

hope we're not asking silly questions, but new rules say:

The server will return a fixed length (4 * 21) bytes array with every four slots indicates a best score
of the corresponding level. Scores of unsolved and unavailable levels are zero.

and

Number of Levels: a byte indicates the number of available levels.



so, as far as I understand, one will never be asked to play for more than 21 levels, even though the actual number might be less. is this correct?
f

Jochen wrote:Hi Brandon,

the number of levels can be different for every round and will depend on how many agents participate. We will only find out by July 30 once we close registration.

It will be at most ten per round and at least five. Every round will have new levels exept for qualification 1 and 2 which will be the same. The server will tell the agent how many levels there will be at initialisation.

The level selection screen will be the same as for poached eggs, but you don't have to worry about that, you just tell the server which level you want next and we will select it for you.

Cheers,
Jochen
kaliaragorn
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: Number of levels and level selection

Postby Jochen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:15 am

Hi,

it will be at most 21 levels per round, most likely around 10, but it depends on the round.
Your agent will be informed about the number of levels at initialisation.

The array will still be 21 entries long. Unsolved and unavailable levels will have entry 0.

Regards,
Jochen
User avatar
Jochen
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Number of levels and level selection

Postby kaliaragorn » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:47 am

thank you, this looks clear now! :)
f

Jochen wrote:Hi,

it will be at most 21 levels per round, most likely around 10, but it depends on the round.
Your agent will be informed about the number of levels at initialisation.

The array will still be 21 entries long. Unsolved and unavailable levels will have entry 0.

Regards,
Jochen
kaliaragorn
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: Number of levels and level selection

Postby kaliaragorn » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 am

oh sorry, a last clarification: when playinga round featuring X level with X < 21, they will be in the first X entries (from 0 to X-1). is that correct?
f

kaliaragorn wrote:thank you, this looks clear now! :)
f

Jochen wrote:Hi,

it will be at most 21 levels per round, most likely around 10, but it depends on the round.
Your agent will be informed about the number of levels at initialisation.

The array will still be 21 entries long. Unsolved and unavailable levels will have entry 0.

Regards,
Jochen
kaliaragorn
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: Number of levels and level selection

Postby Jochen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:51 am

They will always be level 1 to level max (not 0 to max-1). So if there are ten levels they will be entries 1-10 and entries 11-21 will always be 0.
User avatar
Jochen
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Number of levels and level selection

Postby kaliaragorn » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:56 am

that clarifies everything. thank you!
f

Jochen wrote:They will always be level 1 to level max (not 0 to max-1). So if there are ten levels they will be entries 1-10 and entries 11-21 will always be 0.
kaliaragorn
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: Number of levels and level selection

Postby riham » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:35 pm

Do you mean maximal time instead of minimal?
riham
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Re: Number of levels and level selection

Postby Jochen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:12 am

Neither, we are not talking about time here.

Jochen
User avatar
Jochen
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Canberra, Australia


Return to Competition Rules

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron